29 August, 2010

The Murray Darling Basin

Today, as I did my morning walk I listened to an old  (June) podcast of ABC Radio's "Big Ideas"-titled the Canary in the Coalmine. My pace increased as my blood pressure rose!
The speakers were David Paton, Associate Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology University of Adelaide and Richard Kingsford, Professor of Environmental Science University of NSW.
I was provoked to write (belatedly) the following message in the on-line "Comments" relating to this ABC Radio National programme.
"When these guys acknowledge the existence of "The Barrages" which separate the Lower Lakes from the sea and The Coorong from fresh water, then I will believe they are "fair dinkum". Meanwhile they are merely playing "dark green" politics. How can you make the absurd statement that the Lower Lakes are below sea level for the first time in 7,000 years, when before the Barrages were built in the late 1930's, they were always at sea level!!


I have never heard so many misleading statements and half truths. They ought to pack off to Cuba where their political philosophies would be at home.

No comments: