29 September, 2010

Conservation v's Preservation

I have long had problems with the "dark green" philosophy in respect to land management. I am indebted to a favourite branch of my own Church for putting some very clear words around what I have often struggled to express.

The Brisbane Diocese of the Anglican Church has commissioned a report on the Queensalnd Government's Wild Rivers Act. That report concludes that the Queensald Government has-

 "mistakenly replaced sensible conservation values with harmful preservation values. In trying to keep the environment as it is now (preservation) they have compromised opportunities for development and wealth creation. They have ignored other more rational approaches which recognise the dynamic nature of the environment and the fact that with sensible management and monitoring, the land can be both protected and productive." (My emphasis).

I literally couldn't have said it better myself! This argument can be applied very widely to many situations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Toorale could have been protected and productive, actually it was